Are you still working on your New Year’s resolutions? Well, our goal is to make your home a healthier place. That’s why we’ve come up with these 6 home cleaning resolution ideas. Doing all of these throughout the year will help you have a happier, healthier home and help you stay on top of home cleaning all year long.
1. Regularly wipe down countertops. Often, kitchen counters are one of the messiest places in the home. If you can stay on top of your counter, the rest of your home will seem much cleaner too. Countertops are not only where dishes, junk mail, and everything else in our homes seem to end up, but it’s also where dirt, dust, bacteria and allergen particles floating in the air often settle. Set yourself a goal to clear off the countertops every night and give them a good wiping down. If your counters are granite, you can also have a professional granite countertop technician clean and seal them to start the year off with clean counters. This clean slate will encourage you to keep them clean the rest of the year.
2. Get your carpets and rugs cleaned. Your carpets and rug get really dirty given how much we walk on them, spill things on them, have pets that have accidents, and much more. You really should get your carpets cleaned once a year, but if you’re like most families, that doesn’t happen. Take the time now at the beginning of the new year to schedule a carpet cleaning appointment. Don’t just think that vacuuming is enough. While vacuuming regularly is important and does pick up dirt and dust on the surface, there can be a lot of bacteria and allergens trapped deep down within the fibers of the carpet – including pet dander and urine, particle pollution and everyday dirt and dust. While these toxins may not be visible to homeowners, they can still be the source of unpleasant health issues and allergy symptoms. only a good deep cleaning from a professional carpet cleaner can fully remove all of the build-up in your carpets.
3. Clean your upholstered furniture. Most people are good about vacuuming and cleaning their carpets and rugs but they forget about cleaning their upholstery, despite how much time we spend sitting on our furniture every day. Similar to countertops and carpets, particles like dust, dirt, and allergens settle on upholstered furniture as well. Vacuuming upholstered furniture is nearly as easy and is just as important as carpets, particularly in the high-traffic areas like family rooms. Set a goal to vacuum your upholstered furniture once a week, and get it cleaned by a professional upholstery cleaner once a year for the cleanest results.
4. Kill germs by sanitizing high touch points. Take a second to think about the places you and your family touch the most every day. The list probably includes doorknobs, toilet handles, faucets, light switches, and more. Because we touch these places every day, they are prone to getting dirty and spreading germs. Take the time to run a sanitizing wipe over these surfaces a few times a week. If you really want to cut down on the amount of germs that are spread throughout your home, make sure everyone is washing their hands often.
5. Use doormats to stop dirt at the door. Doormats and area rugs do a great job of trapping dirt and allergens before they enter the heart of your home. This dirt builds up quickly and makes your home look dingier, in addition to spreading germs and allergens throughout our homes. Place a doormat each entrance to your home and encourage your family to wipe their feet well before entering the home. If you want to cut down on dirt in your home even more, you can create a no shoes rule and have your family and guests remove their shoes before entering the home.
6. Change your filters. Our furnaces and air conditioners blow cold and warm air throughout our house to keep us comfortable. However, when the filter is too old and full to do its job properly, they also end up blowing allergens, dust, and bacteria around our homes. These filters need to be replaced regularly to keep our homes and the air we breathe clean. Take a second to change the filters in your home. Take it a step further and set up a reminder in your phone for the next time that you’ll need to change them so you never forget again.
These small goals will help you have a much cleaner and healthier home to enjoy all throughout 2019!