The Kids are on Break: Get Organized!
Don’t wait until the end of August to get your kids (and home) ready for the school-year. Summer is the perfect time to get everything cleaned and organized.
Keep up with summer events (and future school events) with a family event calendar
- Color code entries to help keep activities straight for all family members.
- Post calendar in a central place so all family members can access, view, and track it.
- Track sports practice and games, kids’ playdates and sleepover, lunches, and drop off and pick up times.
- Bonus: schedule out chores here as well!
Take advantage of the extra hands around the house
- Deep clean the house.
- Wash all school clothes.
- Regularly wipe down “hot spots” like kitchen counters, door handles, and sink faucets.
- Place door mats outside and inside all entry doors to minimize allergens and germs being brought into the home.
Go through the closet before the start of school to organize and prepare for simpler mornings.
- Donate old clothes.
- Create a storage and labeling system in your closet.
- Use coordinated hangers to create an organized look and systematic approach
- Create sections for specific activities like work, school, sports, etc, and and pre-plan outfits for the week in each section to make getting ready easier.
Organize your kids’ rooms to focus on the areas where they will spend the most school-related time.
In their study and play areas:
- Devise an area for kids to be creative and study.
- Make folders to organize homework for the each day of the week.
- Set up a caddy with extra school supplies
- Create school homework calendars and checklists on your child’s desk
In their bathroom:
- Organize toiletries for kids with marked baskets, especially if your kids share a bathroom.
- Use colorful bins to distinguish belongings of younger children.
- Use high shelving ares for older children and teens to put styling aids and makeup.
- Use a shoe pocket organizer behind the door to store other bathroom essentials.
All of us at Chem-Dry are wishing you a stress-free school year!